A Celebration of Life
Today is the long awaited day. My due date. It was the date I had marked in my calendar, the date I should be expecting my second child to arrive at anytime. He probably wouldn't have shown up today, but it is symbolic of a day of celebration, a day of new life.
But today I am not 40 weeks pregnant. This isn't the end of my pregnancy journey with Oliver. He came into this world, never having taken a breath, 20 long weeks ago. And while I never got to tell him I love him, kiss and hug him a million times, never look into his eyes or feel his hands on mine, his life has taught me more then I ever could have imagined. His life is one to be celebrated because he taught me to be stronger and love deeper. He taught me to never take life for granted and that I must love his sister and future siblings even more fiercely. I have no doubts that his soul is still alive, maybe not where I can see it, but I do feel his guidance in my life. Maybe it is just his memory that I work hard to keep alive. It is still hard to fathom what my son would have been like. I never 'met' him, I don't know what his personality was like or what he even would have looked like. But I have visions of him that live on and those are what I hold on to.
We planted an olive tree today in our backyard in memory of this day and the day that he should have joined our family. And in remembrance of his short, yet important life. I look forward to having a tree to symbolize his life. Something to watch thrive and grow over the years.
While I so wish today was a day of good news of Oliver's safe arrival, photos of me and my sweet baby, Natalie and her little brother, balloons, flowers and the start of sleepless nights, it is a day we miss our son and the life we wished we could have had with him and provided for him. This ends the chapter of my pregnancy with him. From this day forward there will be no, I should be 'x weeks pregnant.' It just marks another day, month, and year of remembering him.
But with each chapter that ends a new one must start.
We are excited to start this new chapter with Natalie and Oliver's newest sibling.
We had our first appointment today and saw the perfectly forming little bean with a strong heartbeat of 168. I'm 8 weeks along and still not out of the woods, but I know all to well there is no magical time line for having a healthy baby. I feel better seeing a healthy baby today and so hope he/she will be with us for the long haul. My heart was filled with more love today seeing our little child, already with a beating heart. That love grows everyday, filling some of the cracks that have been left behind in the last four months. It is terrifying to already be so in love and know the feeling of losing it all. I know what every emotion feels like and the very feeling of my heart breaking, that I can't fathom going through it again.
Being pregnant after a loss is difficult and stressful and I know it will be a long journey to mid-May. But really I can only be hopeful. We are sharing our news of this little one because I want this one to be loved and celebrated its entire life. And that life has started now.









What a beautiful post. I love that you planted an olive tree today for Oliver. I know he was looking down on his growing family today and smiling.
You already know this, but I am SO SO SO excited for you! Congratulations!! A happy and healthy 9 months for this new little one! :)
Beautiful! Love you all so much,Mom
Andrea, Beautiful post and I love the tree you planted in memory of Oliver. I love that you can look at it every day and remember him as you knew him in your belly. I am thrilled at your news!
What a celebration to honor and remember little Oliver. The idea of the olive tree is just perfect.
I am so happy for you, Andrea. Thank you for sharing your great news. Best wishes and lots of love to you always.
Oh Andrea, what a day filled with emotions. First of all what a beautiful way to honor your precious Oliver. Congratulations on your pregnancy, praying that it proves to be a smooth, uneventful pregnancy. ((hugs))
Wow! What a beautiful post! Gorgeous pictures! Congratulations! I wish you another long and healthy 7 months.
Andrea..I was reading this post on my phone in my room and obviously couldn't see it full screen..so when I got to the picture of the ultrasound I was SHOCKED. I was grinning so big my cheeks hurt!! I got up and RAN into the kitchen where my mom was cooking dinner and read her the post...I couldn't even finish the sentence before the ultrasound pic. we BOTH just burst into tears....tonight we are rejoicing with you!! CONGRATULATIONS to you and your husband and precious little Natalie. :)
Andrea,
I am so filled with joy for you! I was thinking of you yestarday, and Oliver's olive tree. About what you may be experiencing and feeling. I am so pleased to hear of your new life and your celebration of Oliver's ongoing presence.
Much love to you and your family.
Congratulations! So many babyloss Mom's are getting pregnant again now. I am really happy for you.
This was a beautiful post about Oliver and the new baby. The tree is beautiful.
I love the way you write about your sweet Oliver. <3 The olive tree is beautiful and a perfect way to celebrate Oliver's life. Congratulations on your little one. I am so happy for you and will be sending you prayers and well wishes for a heatlhy pregnancy. You and your family are in my heart <3
congratulations Andrea! really happy for you!
Love the idea of the Olive tree. Congrats on the new life growing inside you, I pray for a happy healthy end to your new journey.
Congrats! I wish you a happy, healthy, and uneventful 9 months. May the journey of 9 months be a blessed one for you.
You know that I will never forget Oliver...our son's share a very special name. And I love that the olive tree has been planed in his honor.
I almost stopped reading the post because I thought that it was done, and then I saw the ultrasound image! Congrats! I know this is a very different journey for you now after loosing Oliver, and I will continue to pray for your peace and an easy and healthy pregnancy!
I tried to leave a comment yesterday, but here it is a bit late...was thinking of you and Oliver. Congrats on your new little one...will be sending positive vibes!!
Your blog is beautiful and I think it's wonderful everything you do to remember Oliver. My husband and I are anxious to try again and it's very positive for me to read about someone who was able to enter another pregnancy with grace after such a loss.