4 months

I can't believe it has already been four months.  It seems like it happened a lifetime ago. Today just seems like any other day, another day I'm not anxiously awaiting his arrival, another day of my new life.  But even though he isn't here I've felt his spirit around me more and more. He touched my life so significantly that a part of him is with me everyday, a part of him guides me everyday.

I co-hosted a baby shower for a friend yesterday. A friend who is expecting a baby girl the week after I was expecting Oliver. I'm so happy for her, but it was hard seeing her with her adorably huge belly, knowing I should have looked the same. I think the most difficult thing was not talking about Oliver. When asked, 'how many kids do you have?' I answered, 'one.'  Bringing up Oliver at a baby shower is the exact opposite reason of what you are celebrating at a baby shower.  New life.  Even though he is so much a part of my life, it felt inappropriate to bring up and I hate that.  Sadly, I should be able to comfortably say I have a son but he died when I was 19 weeks pregnant, but I think I quickly would have ruined the baby shower.  1. You should never talk about a baby dying in the presence of another pregnant woman and 2. Especially at a baby shower.   I've learned this over my four months and I think like all babyloss moms know there are few moments that seem appropriate to discuss our children.   It really just isn't appropriate at all in our society.  It is awkward, uncomfortable and scary.

I wish that I was 36 weeks pregnant right now. Preparing for my little pumpkin.  It is hard to even fathom that life, since I haven't enjoyed the last 16 weeks watching my stomach grow and getting to know his little kicks.  The hardest thing for me to accept is that his life was just so short. 4.5 months was all he got here on this earth and he didn't even get to make it on the outside. He only existed in my womb, unaware of the beauty of the world around him.  His life would be seen as insignificant to most people, yet it means everything to me.  And while I know his death has taught me so many things, it still is hard to understand why a life is unexpectedly cut short.

But even though the questions still often swirl around in head, I've accepted that this is my life, that Oliver's life was significant and has brought me things I never could have appreciated and understood in his life.  He has given me more love and strength to love his sister and father and down the road his future siblings. I know his memory will always live in my heart.  And for now, peace and acceptance are slowly replacing the anxiety, anger and sorrow.

Angela  – (September 12, 2010 at 11:23 AM)  

I forgot that you and I are so close together. It will be four months since Charlotte died on Tuesday. It really does seem like a long time.

It is frustrating that we can't talk about our babies whenever we want to. You are brave for co-hosting a baby shower.

I hope today is a gentle one.

Sarah  – (September 12, 2010 at 3:58 PM)  

Just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you and baby Oliver today. <3

Michelle  – (September 12, 2010 at 4:25 PM)  

what a beautiful post. You have such a great perspective and you are brave for co-hosting. thinking of you and baby oliver today <3

Nancy  – (September 12, 2010 at 5:38 PM)  

My heart is with you and Oliver. Love you so much,Mom

Dana  – (September 12, 2010 at 9:24 PM)  

You were so brave to host that baby shower. I don't know if I could have done it without crying several times throughout.

Although Oliver didn't get to see the beauty of the world on his own, he sees it through you. And all he ever knew was love and comfort. He never knew the bad that comes with the good.

I so glad that you have some peace and acceptance.

Rhiannon  – (September 13, 2010 at 8:00 AM)  

I am proud of you for hosting a baby shower, too. I would have been a mess. Oliver will always live on in your heart and he will always be close to you. Sending love today.

Jill  – (September 13, 2010 at 8:21 AM)  

This is such a beautiful post. I love your last paragraph. So touching!

It must have been hard hosting a baby shower for your friend. At four months I do not think I could have done it.

xx

Allison  – (September 13, 2010 at 8:36 AM)  

I have been thinking about you and Oliver. <3 Oliver must be a very proud little boy to know the wonderful impact he has had on his mommy, daddy, and sister. Hugs to you and your family.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP