I didn't understand

I think like most people you never really understand anything until it happens to you.

My previous piano teacher lost her daughter at 24 weeks in 2003.  I was in college and remember when it happened.  I even went to the funeral and vividly remember seeing the little footprints they had on display during the service.  I remember thinking, "wow, it was a little person in there", but that was really the extent of my understanding. I was sad, of course, but like most people, thought, "well she has 4 kids already and can always try again or I guess it just wasn't meant to be." I didn't know that a little baby's heartbeat could stop for no medical reason or understand that she would always grieve and be missing her 5th child.  I just didn't understand.

More recently, even after already being a mother, my friend's cousin lost her son at around 25 weeks. She had had problems throughout the pregnancy, so it was a little less out of the blue, but still NEVER anything someone should go through.  She told me they named him and even then I remember thinking, "oh, wouldn't that be harder." I was devastated for the family and did think about what if I had lost Natalie at 25 weeks, but it was still so easy to be removed for the situation.  After all, it wasn't me or someone close to me.  Again, I just didn't understand.

So I completely understand when those around me don't fully "get it."  I couldn't comprehend their heartbreak after receiving the devastating news of "there's no heartbeat," or the sorrow of waiting around for over a day to go through labor and delivery, only to leave empty handed. I didn't understand they would think of their babies every single day and wonder what could have been.  I didn't know they dreamed of their babies every day they were pregnant wondering if the little one would be a boy or girl, have blue or brown eyes, brown or blond hair or mommy or daddy's smile and in one second, have all of those dreams taken away.  I honestly didn't know that a child they had never met, who only existed for 25 weeks, could be unconditionally loved and missed for the rest of their lives. I just couldn't fathom it.  

I now understand and unfortunately all too well. I know what the stares feel like, the not knowing what to say when with other people, and that awkward look I get when I use Oliver's name. I'm sure people look at me and say similar things, "oh, but she already has a child," "did you hear they named him?" "at least, she is young and can try again", or "wow, have you read her blog, she really seems hung up." With all these comments and awkward moments, I know they just don't understand.  I just wish some would try to understand it, just a little.

I did some research for Kristin's blog on resources for family and friends. My hope is there can be one place friends and family can go to get information on how to help and better understand. I wish I had been a better listener when I heard about someone going through a miscarriage, stillbirth or infant loss. I wish I'd paid attention to anniversaries so I could send a card or remember the name of their baby to tell them I was thinking of them. All of those things make a world of difference.  But sadly like most people I didn't know what to say or how to help. It is an uncomfortable task, but I think we can all reach out to those suffering and grieving, if we just take a little bit of time to listen and understand.

Nancy  – (August 2, 2010 at 7:25 PM)  

Andrea, My love to you always! It is not fair that to be able to truly "feel in all ways" for a person going through grief, you have to have experienced it. I am here for you always in every way. I love you and little Oliver.

Julie  – (August 2, 2010 at 7:33 PM)  

i didn't understand, either. now i wish people would make more of an effort to learn and understand. what i DO understand, though, is that people just go on with their own lives. it's the normal, human thing to do.

Stephanie  – (August 2, 2010 at 11:03 PM)  

I wish we all had our blissful ignorance back...that no child died and that parents never left a hospital empty handed. But that isn't reality.

I also wish that 'these people' in all of our lives would just be more sensitive to our pain. I have done many posts on that topic, even outlining things 'to say' and "NEVER TO SAY" to a grief stricken parent. But, like everyone else, it feels like I have become this broken record and people get tired of listening to the annoying and repetitive sound.

Elaine  – (August 3, 2010 at 8:45 AM)  

It is sad that you can never truly understand how a mother feels unless you've been that mother. So, I hope my friends and family never get it. I hope they always have their blissful ignorance. I just wish they would have said "what do you need" or "what can I do" instead of the "call me if you need me"

Big Love, Big Acceptance - or so I say  – (August 3, 2010 at 7:26 PM)  

First and most importantly, I am so sorry for your loss. I'm new to your blog.

You nailed it with this one. After Acacia died, and I went back to work, I was disappointed by how few people stopped by my office those first few weeks back to say something, ANYTHING, to me. And when they did, it was brief and uncomfortable. I remember one woman came in, asked if we could talk, closed my door, asked how I was, and waited for my answer. She was the only one who did that. As far as I know, she's never lost a child, but at some level she understood. Until my daughter died, I don't if I would have had the wisdom to do that. Unfortunately, now know.

Colleen  – (August 4, 2010 at 7:45 AM)  

I agree with Elaine, I hope my friends and family never get it either. It's one of those things that people just don't know what to say or how to act. Some people feel more comfortable than others. I have reached out to those who have lost babies but that's because unfortunately I can understand what it's like.

Patti  – (August 4, 2010 at 11:10 PM)  

Andrea,
I am so so sorry for the loss of your little Oliver. My daughter (Mackenzie) showed me your blog, and I'm so glad she did. We will be praying for you and for your family. I lost 3 babies- all at 14 weeks or less, so nothing as difficult as what you experienced. I know that horrible feeling of being alone, and not being able to talk to people who "get it". It did help me to become more aware of the things I say, and that ANYTHING is better than saying nothing. The one thing that got me through the grief was knowing- beyond a shadow of a doubt- that I will see my babies again in Heaven some day. Heaven is a sweeter place with our babies there. I can't wait to see them and find out who they are...
Thank you for sharing your honest, open heart here.
P.S. Your photography is amazing:)

Marisa  – (August 10, 2010 at 1:57 AM)  

My heart breaks for you, sweet girl. After we lost our daughter, Maggie, last year at 31 weeks I wrote about this very thing. I felt like I needed a sign around my neck to warn others: Grieving Mother--Handle with Care. So very sorry for the loss of your precious Oliver. May the Lord bring you comfort like only He can.

Blessings,
Mis
http://www.miskamiller.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP