Holidays and Hope
Halloween is the gateway to the holidays and with a week of November already gone the holidays will soon be upon us. The holidays are bittersweet this year. This is the first year we will be home, just the three of us, for Christmas. So I'm looking forward to starting our own traditions, putting up the tree, decorating the house and doing all of things we usually put off because we are visiting family for 1-2 weeks. I'm excited to watch Natalie enjoy all things Christmas and watch the wonder through her eyes. At the same time, I'm sad we aren't home with her and Oliver, an adorable little 2.5 month old to cuddle by the tree.
I finally ordered the classic monogrammed stockings this year. We never had a real mantel in our house growing up (we had two fireplaces they just didn't have mantels. ) So for as long as I can remember, I couldn't wait to have a house with a mantel to hang our stockings from. I guess it was this romantic vision I always had in my head. So I finally ordered them. It was in that moment when typing in each of our names, that I wished I could have ordered one for Oliver. He should have been here this Christmas, with his own stocking. Filled with binkies, squeaky toys and onesies.
![]() |
| Photo from Pottery Barn |
My anxiety has dropped a little since passing the 12 week mark. I get more and more invested every day and both love the feeling and am terrified. It is impossible not to dream about this baby, but I still find myself pushing back when we talk about names or Natalie and her younger sibling. It all feels like just by thinking of those things I could jinx it. While I have higher odds of everything going well, I know how quickly it can change and those odds mean nothing. I get sad daydreaming about this little one because it reminds me of what I never knew with Oliver. I never knew what color his hair or eyes would be, who he would have looked like or if he would have had a similar personality to his sister. I think the daydreaming of your perfect little baby is how we bond and fall in love and is the right of every mother, but to most women it doesn't end in horror and despair.
I love that I get a second chance to experience all of the wonder of being pregnant and getting excited for the arrival of another little one. I don't want to miss out on this experience because I'm too afraid. These 40 weeks are such a precious gift and I know just how lucky I am to get to experience them. My daydreaming actually resulted in my first purchase for this little one. That excitement took hold and I couldn't help myself when I saw this cute little sleeper hanging on the rack. Plus it was a $3.00 clearance find at Old Navy (yes, it was only available in pink and we don't know the sex yet. I decided to take my chances.)
While it wouldn't matter if it was $3 or $30, it is a symbol of my hope. The hope that I really will get to bring a little baby home in this outfit. It is amazing one little onesie can heal my soul and fill it with hope and yet terrifies me all at the same time. I worry, does buying this jinx it all and now I certainly won't get to bring a baby home? (I don't really believe you can jinx things, but once you are on the side of 'rare cases', it seems like anything could prevent me from having a baby.) Most days buying anything prior to this baby actually taking its first breath seems premature. But like I said some days the hope wants to take hold and smother the fear. So I let hope win! I know all too well that buying this onesie doesn't make all of my dreams come true, but seeing it does give me hope that our family will one day be completed.




I am terrified and anxious and excited about becoming pregnant again. I feel like just typing that sentence is going to jinx my chances of seeing the second line appear. I love your little pink sleeper. It will look adorable on your brand new healthy baby. xo
i love how beautifully you are able to express yourself in your writing. you share your feelings, all of them, in a honest yet gentle way. i enjoy every single post! sometimes i'm not sure what to say in my comment, because i have never been pregnant therefore never had a miscarriage, and i would never EVER want it to be taken as i'm diminishing your feelings, or down-playing your pain. so, i feel like i say the same thing over and over. but i just want you to know..i hope your dreams come true, and in a few short months you will be bringing home a perfect little bundle of joy that will be a part of your family FOREVER! and although you will always have those memories of carrying your first son, i hope it will take the PAIN of losing oliver completely away. best wishes to you and your husband, and your lovely little natalie. xoxo!
Oh my goodness that onesie is beyond adorable! Good for you for leaping forward with hope that things will work out this time and you'll be bringing home a healthy baby at the end of this pregnancy. You're right it's so hard to not let the fears take over, but its wonderful you're trying your best to stay positive and treasure the time you have with this baby. Thinking of you and continuing to hope with you!
I love that you bought the baby a onesie as a symbol of hope. Despite your fears, you are holding on the the very real possibility that you will be welcoming your baby into the world in 6 months. <3 May these bittersweet holidays bring many special moments. Thinking about you and sending you hope and love always!
I have monogrammed stockings from previous years, and of course had one made for my living child a few years ago. I did actually end up getting on with Mikayla's name on it this year as well. I got an idea from this blog http://blessedbycreativejoy.blogspot.com/2010/11/2nds-for-shyla-14-months.html about filling their stocking with things that were done as random acts of kindness over the year in their memory. I plan to do something similar for my daughter's stocking, so we have something to remember her on this special day as well.