Meeting in the Middle
>> Thursday, August 25, 2011 –
hope,
photography,
sentimental
Late at night when the house is quiet, I look at the toys strewn about the floor, the empty carseat sitting by the door and quietly look at the monitor waiting for a little sound. All of things that remind me of my little ones. I miss them when they are sleeping. I miss the loudness of their voices and cries and I miss the quiet of their hugs, kisses and little breath. I think about how in a few short hours the day will begin. Both waking up at the same time, hungry and the demands of two little ones begins once again. The chaos begins and we start all over.
Life is on a whole new level of chaos with two little kids. There are days when my answer to "What did you guys do today?" is "Survived!" Separately they are easy, but together it is difficult to meet all of their needs all of the time. Poor Carter gets put down so I can quickly make lunch for Natalie, or time with Natalie gets put on hold while I get him up for a nap. Change his diaper. Or feed him. Somedays the schedules all flow perfectly together and there are other days where it is a complete train wreck. Days where tears begin at breakfast. But in the midst of it all there is happiness. The tears never last very long and the smiles and laughter are more easily remembered.
And those times, when both children are happy and I get to take it all in. Those times where we meet in the middle between chaos and silence are perfect. They are the times when I think to myself, "this is the life." It is when I truly get to soak up my life. The perfect and the imperfect. The beauty of my small family and everything I have right now. These are the memories I want to store away forever.
I'm finding that life in general is about the middle ground and finding your center. My life right now is that sweet spot. After the extreme lows and highs, I feel a sense of peace. I've found the perfect spot in the middle. When everything aligns, when everything feels right.
Life is warm and cozy right now. A far difference from a year ago. When the loneliness and the cold and barren land of grief gripped my days. I was grateful for what I had but bitter at the life I had been given. The unexpected twist that left me heartbroken and wondering why my life was so unfair. Why a life was taken and never given a chance. If only I had been given a glimpse of this. My life right now. Peace may have been more easily found.
While it is easy to fall into my everyday life now with two little ones, I never forget how grateful I am to have a little boy to complete our family. A little boy who is happy and healthy. Sweet and silly. And has a smile that touches my soul. My everyday now was only a dream a year ago. One in which I was never sure would happen.
I still find it hard to believe that Carter was born almost 3 months ago. My life of anxiety and physical stress has been replaced with happiness and joy. And while I know I'm far from protected from further heartache and pain down the road, right now my heart is enveloped in love. Total. Complete. Amazing. And beautiful love.
And for now that is all I need.

























such a beautiful post. have a wonderful weekend Andrea!
These are really sweet - I love the black and whites.
Gorgeous photos! I can't wait to experience that sweet love and chaos. xo
I loved this! It reminded me to take photos of the sweet simple things. Book reading. Giggling. Giving kisses. Your outlook on life is beautiful! I always enjoy reading your posts! =)
Your photos are so so precious. The chaos of little children is lovely. Sometimes in the midst of it I forget, but at those quiet perfect times, like you mentioned, it is priceless.
((SIGH)) So beautiful Andrea!! Thank you for sending the clothes and sweet card. Sorry I am just now letting you know we got the package. I just started my OB rotation and life is very crazy. Blessing to you and your beautiful family <3 Oliver <3
These are beautiful Andrea, I especially love the one of Natalie holding the fairy floss. I'm so sorry for what you've been through and glad you're in a happier place now x
You will always cherish the words you wrote and pictures you took of this special time of your life. Well done!
Beautiful every day photos. These are all treasured memories. I just love the light in the first group. Beautiful post, they grow so quickly. My babies are no longer babies. Soak them up.
These are all so beautiful! The black and whites are ah-mazing! I love the series with your sweet babe on the floor. Such precious moments!
You do such a wonderful job describing them. I don't have kids yet, so I try to savor the quietness of it, but I am excited to begin that journey in the future!
You have a beautiful family and your gratitude for them touches me deeply. Gorgeous photos, really wonderful use of light and composition.