Lessons Learned
I've been reflecting a lot on the past year and thinking about all of the things I've learned about myself, the people in my life and the world. It is hard to believe the best and worst moment of my life have taken place within a year of one another.
Here are some of those things -
I've learned that I can instantaneously love someone I just met.
I've learned natural childbirth is really painful, especially back labor.
I've learned that I have amazing strength.
I've learned I loved breastfeeding and it was the ultimate weight loss.
I've learned I love being a stay at home mom and it is more fulfilling than all of my jobs put together.
I've learned I would do anything for my baby.
I've learned watching my own child grow and learn is truly amazing.
I've learned that I am obsessed with photographing every moment.
I've learned I have more patience than I originally thought.
I've learned what a gallbladder does and that mine had failed doing it's job.
I've learned that being the only 'nutrient' provider for my newborn can be stressful.
I've learned that it is difficult to be away from my daughter, for even one night.
I've learned that I can be just as excited the second time around.
I've learned that each pregnancy can be different.
I've learned I can love more than one child.
I've learned that pregnancies don't always end with a healthy, living baby.
I've learned that women still have to go through labor and delivery, even at 16 weeks.
I've learned that I could love someone, who I never met and never would meet.
I've learned more about miscarriage and stillbirth; more than I ever wanted to know.
I've learned that babies can die for no medical reason.
I've learned that my heart can break.
I've learned that some people are less supportive, but others will be there in your darkest time.
I've learned what grief is and how to try and navigate the journey.
I've learned that my husband is an amazing support and an incredible father.
I've learned that I can't control every aspect of my life.
I've learned that some good can come out of the worst tragedies.
I've learned to be thankful for every minute of every day.
I've learned that I can survive.


I like this list. Natural labor is really painful, especially back labor - couldn't agree with you more on that one. I'm sorry you had to learn these things.
Andrea,
I have looked at your blog for some time and felt the need to make myself "public". You are a strong woman and I greatly the appreciate the awareness and openess you strive to bring from your own tragic loss. Thank you for being so open about your journey, what you are doing is so very important.
-RoseAnna Cyr (MHC '06)
What a lovely and haunting post. I know that I have learned that grief is undefinable.
I love this post...amazing how much a tiny little life can teach us...
Great post thanks for sharing those feelings. Some lessons you should never have had to learn but you are a greater woman and mom because of them.